Welcome Santa, Lighting of the Town Tree, Enjoy Free Events and Activities
KEARNY, NJ – It’s time to kick off the holidays and celebrate the season at the Annual Kearny KUEZ Holiday Tree Lighting Festival on Thursday, December 4 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. outside Town Hall on Kearny Avenue. The immensely popular town-wide tradition begins at 5:30 p.m. on the steps of Town Hall with a holiday concert featuring local performers of all ages. This year the lineup includes the Washington School Chorus (under the direction of Scott Burzynski); Franklin School Chorus (under the direction of Denise Mitchell); cast members of West Hudson Arts & Theater Company production of “A Charlie Brown Christmas”; the Kearny High School Quartet and the Nick Fabbz Band.
At 6:30 p.m. Santa arrives to help Mayor Alberto G. Santos, along with members of the Town Council light the Kearny Holiday Tree. “Santa’s arrival is without a doubt one of the highlights of the night,” said KUEZ coordinator John Peneda. “You can feel the excitement of the children build as we approach that moment when he steps through the front doors of Town Hall and joins the Mayor to light our tree!”
BRING YOUR CAMERAS FOR PHOTOS WITH SANTA!
The festivities then move immediately to Town Hall Park. Santa, joined by Mrs. Claus and their elves, will be on hand for children (12 and under) to visit until 8:30 p.m. Parents are reminded to BRING THEIR CAMERAS for photos. Santa will be handing out holiday gifts and goodies (while supplies last)
The merry making continues throughout the park with free events and activities until 8:30 p.m. “We have more happening this year than ever before thanks to the amazing support from both the KUEZ business community and local civic organizations”, noted Peneda.
Activities (limited to children 12 and under unless otherwise noted) include:
- Jingle Bell Stage sponsored by River Terminal Development
- Special performance by those snowman-making Winter “Ice Princesses.” Also, kids can dance the night away at a special dance party with Frosty the Snowman.
- Balloon Art sponsored by HVAC Services, LLC
- Take home a piece of air-filled art!
- Face Painting sponsored by the West Hudson Arts & Theater Company
- Fantasy, fun and fabulous face creations! W.H.A.T. will also be selling tickets to its next production “A Charlie Brown Christmas” which opens December 5th.
- Winter Ice Princesses Meet & Greet sponsored by the Rosa Agency
- Stop by for a meet and greet and photo with the beautiful winter ice sisters after they perform on the Jingle Bell Stage.
- Giant Coloring Mural sponsored by Oasis Painting Co.
- Kids can create and color a giant mural. Families can also enter a sweepstakes from Oasis; the grand prize is the painting of 2 rooms in your home (walls and trim) by their professional staff.
- Giant Post Card to Santa sponsored by the Kearny Public Library
- Kids can add their name to a larger-than-life post card to the North Pole! The Library will also be selling copies of the Kearny Farmer’s Market Cookbook. Children and adults can also sign up for Library cards.
- Candy Art sponsored by Midtown Pharmacy
- Kids can make tubes of sand art with a twist – it’s edible! The staff of Midtown Pharmacy will also be at the booth with an assortment of holiday gifts and goods for sale.
- Magic Reindeer Food sponsored by the Girl Scouts
- Make reindeer food to sprinkle outside for Rudolf and friends to enjoy while Santa makes his deliveries!
- Holiday Fun Giant Photo Op sponsored by Century 21 Semiao & Associates
- Pop your head through the cutout and voila, you are part of a holiday scene! Fun photo op for the whole family!
- Magic Show sponsored by the West Hudson South Bergen Optimist Club
- The Optimists, “Friend of Youth”, are sponsoring an amazing magic show for the whole family!
- Spa Fun sponsored by Sajonia D’Light Spa
- The talented staff from Sajonia will be offering free manicures for children and mini back massages for adults!
- Holiday Crafts sponsored by K-9 Corner / Bone Appetit Barkery
- Kids can make a holiday craft; and maybe bring the family pet home a treat!
- Holiday Safety Info sponsored by the Kearny Fire Department
- Members of the KFD will be on hand distributing coloring books, children’s fire hats and more. A spectacular KFD pump and ladder truck will also be parked on Kearny Avenue, which kids can explore with the firefighters.
Also at the Festival will be the Salvation Army providing cups of hot chocolate. Food will also be on sale from a number of vendors including Vamoose Gluten Free Café and Domingo’s Bakery, among others. Members of the Kearny High School ERASE club will also return as volunteers in a variety of roles at the Festival. And don’t forget that Santa’s Sled will be parked in front of the park throughout the evening for photo ops with visitors!
Please note: Kearny Avenue will be closed between Liberty Street and Quincy Avenue throughout the event.
The KUEZ gives special thanks to its sponsors for their generous donations: Century 21 Semiao & Associates, HVAC Services,LLC, K-9 Corner/Bone Appetit, Midtown Pharmacy, Oasis Painting Co., River Terminal Development, Rosa Agency, Shop Rite of Kearny, West Hudson Arts & Theater Company (W.H.A.T.), and the West Hudson/South Bergen Optimist Club.
Sponsored by the Kearny Urban Enterprise Zone (KUEZ) and Mayor Alberto G. Santos and Council. Visit www.kearnynj.org for more information or like the KUEZ Facebook page.