Cooling shelters are available in Kearny to help those in need during this heat wave.
The Kearny Health Center is open from 8:30am until 4:30pm daily. The location is at 645 Kearny Avenue.
Other facilities such as the Public Library branches are also air conditioned and open during their normal hours:
Main Library- 318 Kearny Avenue
Monday, Thursday & Friday 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday & Wednesday 9:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday Closed
Branch Library – 759 Kearny Avenue
Monday - Thursday 1 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
Please be aware that children, seniors and those with chronic illness are more likely to experience heat-related sicknesses, which occur when the body cannot release heat through sweat, causing high body temperatures.
High body temperatures can damage organs and cause heat cramps, heat exhaustion or heat stroke. To prevent such problems, the Health Department recommends that residents:
- Dress for the heat, and use a hat or umbrella to block the sun.
- Drink plenty of water, and avoid alcoholic beverages and caffeine.
- Eat small meals, and eat more often.
- Stay indoors with air-conditioning when possible.
- Take regular breaks when physically active.