Josh Humphrey | Library Director201-998-2666
Kearny Public Library
The Kearny Public Library consists of a main library and a branch library. The collection consists of approximately 90,000 volumes, 1,800 audio/video tapes, 400 books on cassette, and subscriptions to 150 periodicals. Access to a bank of computers and Internet is also now available.
The main library sponsors many programs for the public, a children’s “Story Telling Hour”, and cultural programs. For more information please visit the Kearny Public Library main webpage at www.kearnylibrary.org
Kearny Public Library New Summer Hours
Monday: 10 AM – 4 PM
Tuesday: 12 PM – 5 PM
Wednesday: 1 PM – 7 PM
Thursday: 12 PM – 5 PM
Friday: 10 AM – 4 PM
Please note our current guidelines:
• Please do not visit the library if you are not feeling well. If you are coughing, sneezing or exhibiting other symptoms, you may be asked to leave, based on staff and security discretion.
• A mask or face covering is no longer mandatory in the building, but is strongly recommended, as is social distancing, for anyone who has not received the full regimen of the COVID-19 vaccine, especially our younger patrons.
• Upon entry, all visitors will be subject to a temperature check with a thermal camera. If temperature registers above 100.4, we will take a secondary reading. If that is similarly high, you will be denied access.
• Upon entry, all visitors will be prompted for their contact information, in case it is needed later for contact tracing through our Health Department.
• Sanitizing stations are set up throughout the building. Please remember to sanitize hands before browsing or handling any materials.
• Our main entrance on Kearny Avenue will be the only entrance open. If you need handicap access from our ramp on Chestnut Street, please go to that entrance and call the library at (201) 998-2666 and someone will let you in.
• Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
• During this phase of reopening, the library will not be accepting any donations.
• The library will return to charging fines over the Summer months, but we will also accept undamaged non-perishable food in lieu of fines, to be donated to our local food bank. Please ask for more details.
• While doors are open each day, our Reading Garden will be open to visitors as well, weather permitting.
• Please note that we will continue lending materials via curbside pickup from 10 AM – 5 PM every day. If you are not comfortable visiting our spaces, please consider calling (201) 998-2666 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a pickup.
Computer Use Guidelines:
• Computers will be available to all visitors.
• Computer sessions will be one hour long.
• Due to equipment availability, you may be provided with a desktop or a laptop system. If our space is full, you may also be asked to make a reservation and wait your turn.
• We will wipe down our equipment regularly. If you would like to wipe anything down yourself, please let us know and we will provide you with a sanitizing wipe.
• Printing will be available at our usual cost of 10 cents per black-and-white page or 20 cents per color page.
• Please note that staff may not be available to help computer users.
Kearny Main Library
Librarians & Board of Trustees
Library Director | Josh Humphrey
Senior Children’s Librarian | Joanne Friedman
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Elizabeth Kubowicz, President
Christine Jablonski, Vice President
Melody Connell, Treasurer
Eileen Eckel, Council Liaison
April Amenta, Board of Education Liaison
Ann Farrell, Mayor’s Alternate
Ken Davie, Attorney
Karen Pshybyshefski, Secretary
Located at the Main Library building is the Kearny Museum. The museum exhibits artifacts, clothing, equipment, photographs and paraphernalia of Kearny’s past. It highlights Kearny’s history including displays on the town’s prominence as an industrial center and its reputation as Soccer Town, USA. The museum hours vary with the time of year.