Who? Why? When?
Who can become a KUEZ member?
Any business Located in the Zone
- Sole Proprietorships
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Corporations
- Any business Type & Classification; Any business Size
Why should a business become a KUEZ member?
- Sales and Use Tax Exemptions on Specific Purchases, Rentals, Leases and Services for your business location!
- Reduced Sales Tax Collection for Retailers. Offer your customers a 50% tax savings on most NJ taxable items, without any impact on your profit margins.
- New Employee Tax Credits. One-time Corporate deductions of either $1,500 or $500, as applicable.
- Unemployment Insurance-based Awards (Rebates)
- Preferred Financing and Training, Utility Rates, and Regulatory Assistance.
When can a business join the KUEZ?
- Whenever you want to take advantage of UEZ incentives.
- When a lease or property deed is signed.
- Anytime your business decides to seize an added degree of superiority.
- Whenever your business believes it’s time to save money
How does a business become certified as a qualified Urban Enterprise Zone business?
A business located within the designated Zone boundaries can file an application online at: https://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/home/pbs/
What does it take to fill out an application?
- The business needs to be physically located within the designated UEZ boundary
- The business and the Trade Name need to be registered with the NJ Department of Treasury
- The business needs to be in tax compliance.
- File the application online at: https://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/home/pbs/
- Complete a UZ-1 Form, whether or not your business is applying for the reduced Sales Tax benefit.
- For online UEZ application instructions
- Include supplementary information, as may be required in the Certification Instructions.
- For online UEZ application questions or information, contact the UEZ Help Desk at: (877) 913-6837 or HelpDesk@dca.state.nj.us
* No Fees, No Charges, Just a Bit of Time
What preliminary tests are used by the Authority to decide whether a business shall be certified?
The applying business must be engaged in the active conduct of a trade or business within Zone boundaries.
- A new business formed, or moving, to the Zone, after it was designated, must have at least 25% of its new full-time workforce, hired during its first or second year in the program, meet certain criteria.
- In order to meet the 25% factor, new employees must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Residents within the Zone, a Zone-impacted district, or within another qualifying Zone
- Unemployed for at least six months prior to being hired and residing in NJ.
- Recipients of NJ public assistance programs for at least six months prior to being hired; or
- Determined to be low-income individuals pursuant to the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.
* It may be determined by the Authority that the applicant business is unable, in good faith, to meet the 25% requirement, and it may, in turn, agree to allow the business to implement and/or sponsor certain specific training and job programs for a period of at least five years.
When can a business owner receive tax benefits in an UEZ?
Benefits are effective only from the date of certification within the designated Zone by the Authority. Tax exempt certificates, and as applicable to retailers, an effective UZ-2, are then issued by the Division of Taxation, effective on the date of the certification. There are no retroactive tax benefits. Renewal of qualified business status must be made annually.