David Hayes, CPWM| Superintendent of Public Works201-998-3700
357 Bergen Ave. Kearny, NJ 07032
The DPW is open from 8 am to 4 PM Monday thru Friday.
Click below to open forms.
The Department of Public Works provides essential services to the 41,000 residents of Kearny.
Overall, responsibilities of the DPW include the maintenance of 48 miles of paved roads including:
- Street sweeping
- Snow plowing and ice control
- Traffic line painting
- Traffic sign and street name sign maintenance
- 3 sanitary water pump stations
- 4 storm water pump stations
- 6,000+ feet of drainage ditches
- 3 tide gates on the Passaic River
- 1,000+ catch basins and manholes
- Municipal Recycling Drop-Off Center
- Building maintenance at all municipal buildings
- 2,000+ trees planted on municipal right of ways and municipal parks
- 90 miles of sewers
- Maintenance and repair of 100+ vehicles and pieces of equipment
- Latex paints will no longer be accepted during the household hazardous cleanout. You must dry out the cans with cat litter until the paint is fully absorbed and in a solid state which then can be disposed of in regular garbage.
- Alkaline batteries can now be thrown out in regular garbage as they no longer contain lead.
- Rechargeable batteries will still be accepted during the household hazardous cleanout, however you must put tape over the contacts on the batteries as they can explode and cause a fire.
- All mattresses or box springs put out for garbage collection must be wrapped in plastic.