David Hayes, CPWM| Superintendent of Public Works201-998-3700
357 Bergen Ave. Kearny, NJ 07032
The DPW is open from 8 am to 4 PM Monday thru Friday.
The Department of Public Works provides essential services to the 41,000 residents of Kearny.
Overall, responsibilities of the DPW include the maintenance of 48 miles of paved roads including:
- Street sweeping
- Snow plowing and ice control
- Traffic line painting
- Traffic sign and street name sign maintenance
- 3 sanitary water pump stations
- 4 storm water pump stations
- 6,000+ feet of drainage ditches
- 3 tide gates on the Passaic River
- 1,000+ catch basins and manholes
- Municipal Recycling Drop-Off Center
- Building maintenance at all municipal buildings
- 2,000+ trees planted on municipal right of ways and municipal parks
- 90 miles of sewers
- Maintenance and repair of 100+ vehicles and pieces of equipment
- Latex paints will no longer be accepted during the household hazardous cleanout. You must dry out the cans with cat litter until the paint is fully absorbed and in a solid state which then can be disposed of in regular garbage.
- Alkaline batteries can now be thrown out in regular garbage as they no longer contain lead.
- Rechargeable batteries will still be accepted during the household hazardous cleanout, however you must put tape over the contacts on the batteries as they can explode and cause a fire.
- All mattresses or box springs put out for garbage collection must be wrapped in plastic.
2020 Leaf program
The Town of Kearny’s fall leaf program will begin the week of October 26, 2020. All residents should place their leaves into biodegradable leaf bags and place the bags at the curb for pickup. Residents should no longer place leaves in the street on street sweeping day. There is also no longer a need to call to schedule a pickup of leaf bags, as they will be picked up from October 26, 2020 to January 8, 2021, in accordance with the following schedule:
Monday Zone 3 – Labeled Green on zoning map
Tuesday Zone 2 – Labeled Red on zoning map
Wednesday Zone – 1 – Labeled Blue on zoning map
Thursday Zone 3 – Labeled Green on zoning map
Friday Zone 4 – Labeled Yellow on zoning map
Zone map is below.
Leaf bags may be purchased at the Kearny DPW, 357 Bergen Ave., from Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8AM and 4PM (10 bags for $5.00). Residents also may purchase biodegradable bags from a retailer of their choice.
Please note that only leaves should be placed in leaf bags. Grass, twigs, and any other yard waste is to be disposed of with your regular garbage pickup.
Once again, leaves should not be placed in the street. If you are serviced by a private landscaper, please inform them that they will either have to bag the leaves and place them at the curb or haul them away. A warning notice will be issued to any resident who places their leaves in the street. If you have questions, please call the DPW at (201) 998-3700.
(color-coded map should be added from last year’s announcement dated September 20, 2019)