REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS FOR PROFESSIONAL
SERVICE CONTRACTS IN THE TOWN OF KEARNY
(The Calendar Year 2023)
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:44A-20.5 et. seq. the Town of Kearny shall pursue a “Fair and Open Process” in awarding contracts for the positions set forth below, for calendar year 2023 and hereby solicits qualifications in the form of resumes and letter applications directed to the Town of Kearny, which shall be submitted to the Town Clerk at 402 Kearny Avenue, Kearny, NJ 07032, together with documentation showing qualifications and compliance with criteria set forth by the Town and by State Statute. All qualifications shall be submitted in a sealed envelope marked “RFQ FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICE” addressed to the Town Clerk, to be received no later than 1:00 p.m. on December 1, 2022. Two (2) originals must be submitted. Non-bound submissions are preferred. Prior to submission of qualifications interested parties should review the attached criteria that will be used by the Town to evaluate proposals.
All bidders are required to comply with N.J.S.A. 10:5-31 and N.J.A.C. 17:27-1 et seq. (State affirmative action/equal opportunity laws) and Town of Kearny Ordinance 2007-(O)-41; as amended (payment of living wages and medical benefits for employees). Each professional is also required to have on file a current Business Registration Certificate. Each professional shall submit with its proposal a complete and fully executed Non-Collusion Affidavit in the form attached a Appendix A and the Statement of Ownership Disclosure in the form attached as Appendix B. The Town reserves the right to waive any omissions in the proposals and/or reject proposals for some or all of the positions and/or to award contracts for some or all of the positions listed below.
Professional services qualifications for the following positions are hereby requested:
- Town Attorney – The Town Attorney acts as legal advisor to the Mayor, Council and Town Administrator, and, as part of its base salary, attends all normally scheduled meetings, agenda meetings and special meetings, prepares all routine and recurrent ordinances, resolutions, documents, and instruments, and represents the Town in all appeals before the Hudson County Board of Taxation. All other services are compensated separately on an hourly rate basis.
- Bond Counsel – Bond Counsel is engaged on an as-needed basis to prepare Bond ordinances, to represent the Town in Local Finance Board meetings, and to provide tax advice. Services related to Bond and/or Note Sales are compensated at a fixed rate commensurate with the dollar amount of Bonds issued. Other services may be compensated at fixed rates or hourly rates. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as Bond Counsel.
- Labor Counsel – Labor Counsel represents the Town in all labor and employment matters assigned by the Town, including court appearances, arbitrations, conferences, negotiations and investigations. Services are compensated on an hourly rate basis.
- Assistant Town Attorney – The Assistant Town Attorney represents the Town in grievance arbitrations at the Town and PERC level; prosecutes departmental disciplinary actions, represents the Construction Board of Appeals at the Town level, and represents the Affordable Housing Board at the Town level, attends all meetings of the Recreation Commission and provides legal advice to the Commission members; attends all meetings of the Board of Health and provides legal advice to the Board; attends all meetings of the Library Board and provides legal advice to the Board; shall be responsible for recording all property maintenance liens in the Office of the Register of Hudson County as they are imposed and shall be responsible for recording the discharge of all property maintenance liens in the Office of the Register of Hudson County. A base salary is paid for the aforesaid services, with additional services compensated on an hourly rate basis.
- Town Auditor – The Town Auditor provides audit services for the Town, Water Utility and Library, assists in the preparation of budgets, and prepares financial/debt statements, secondary market disclosures and official statements for Bond and/or Note Sales. Each of these services are compensated on a lump sum basis.
- Municipal Court Prosecutor – The Prosecutor receives a base salary for all services rendered as municipal prosecutor, except that ABC hearings and municipal appeals are compensated separately on an hourly rate basis.
- Public Defender – The Public Defender receives a base salary for services rendered as a public defender, with additional compensation on an hourly rate basis for reasonable preparation of cases.
- Planner – General – The Town Planner is compensated on an hourly rate basis for general planning services, including preparation of studies, reports, proposals and technical specifications, and appearances at public meetings and hearings. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as a Planner for the Town.
- Town Appraiser – The Town Appraiser is compensated at hourly rates for all advice related to property tax appeals and the preparation of appraisals of real property in connection with such tax appeals, as well as property identified for purchase, sale, lease and/or redevelopment by the Town. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as an Appraiser for the Town.
- Insurance Risk Manager – The Risk Manager advises the Town on all insurance matters, including identification of coverage, assistance and settlement of claims and preparation of insurance budgets. The Risk Manager is paid a fee based on a percentage of the Town’s annual assessment by the Joint Insurance Fund.
- 12. Grant Consultant – The Grant Consultant is compensated on an hourly basis for grant related services, including identifying and applying for federal, state and county grants for municipal services, projects and programs. This Contract may be awarded as an Extraordinary, Unspecifiable Service Contract.
- 13. Financial Consultant – The Financial Consultant is compensated on an hourly basis for reviewing and advising the Town on the economic viability of redevelopment projects. This Contract may be awarded as an Extraordinary, Unspecifiable Service Contract. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as a Financial Consultant for the Town.
- Environmental Consultant – The Environmental Consultant is compensated on an hourly rate basis and shall perform such duties as: A) oversee the remediation of municipal contaminated sites in accordance with the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s applicable standards and regulations; B) provide technical advice and assistance to Town departments as needed. C) maintain all papers, documents, memoranda, reports and other materials relating to the administration of its duties; D) attend Town meetings as requested by the Mayor and Council or Town Administrator and E) when directed by the Mayor and Council or Town Administrator provide the services necessary to prepare and provide detailed environmental reports and studies. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as an Environmental Consultant for the Town.
- Town Engineer – The Town Engineer renders engineering services to all municipal departments and agencies. The Engineer attends all public meetings of the Town and other meetings specifically requested by the Mayor and Council. The Engineer receives a base fee for the aforesaid services, with additional tasks compensated at hourly rates. The Town Engineer is appointed for a three (3) year term.
- Green Land Use Review/Design Consultant – The Green Land Use Design/Review Consultant will provide green infrastructure design strategies and low impact development strategies for stormwater and flood plain management for both public and private projects. This would include the review of land use applications of significant impact that are filed with the Town or any of the Town’s land use boards or agencies. The consultant should have on staff a licensed engineer and/or licensed landscape architect, with access to a LEED certified architect if needed. Compensation will be on an hourly basis or fixed fee to be established for specific projects designated by the Town. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party as a Green Land Use Review/Design Consultant for the Town.
- Affordable Housing Rehabilitation Program Manager – This consultant acts as manager of the Town’s affordable housing rehabilitation program, which is funded through the Town’s Affordable Housing Trust Fund. Compensation is on a fixed fee basis per specific tasks, with additional services, if needed, compensated on an hourly rate basis. The Town reserves the right to qualify more than one party to act as Affordable Housing Rehabilitation Program Manager. This contract may be awarded as an Extraordinary, Unspecifiable Service Contract.
Patricia Carpenter, Clerk
Town of Kearny
TOWN OF KEARNY
CRITIERIA FOR SUBMISSION OF QUALIFICATIONS FOR
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTS FOR THE YEAR 2023 UNDER THE
FAIR AND OPEN PROCESS
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, to all applicants for positions set forth more fully in a notice of publication soliciting request for qualifications shall take into consideration the following factors, which will be weighed by the Mayor and Council of the Town of Kearny as the basis of awarding contracts for professional services most advantageous to the Town:
- Resume and letter application and proposal for professional position including all documentation that provides the following for evaluation by the Mayor and Council:
- Familiarity with the Town of Kearny and its form of
- Experience and reputation in the field for the position sought.
- Knowledge of the area of expertise for the position sought (i.e. Auditor, Appraiser etc.).
- Availability to accommodate all required meetings of the Town.
- Compensation proposal.
- Such other factors deemed to be in the best interest of the Town of Kearny.
- The term of said contract shall be for a period of one year commencing January 1, 2023, and terminating December 31, 2023.
- All proposals shall include the complete and executed Non-Collusion Affidavit attached as Appendix A and the Statement of Ownership Disclosure attached as Appendix B.
- Selection of professionals shall be based on the Mayor and Council’s evaluation of the submitted material in the criteria set forth in this document.
- Submit all materials in a sealed envelope marked “RFQ FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICE” addressed to Town Clerk, Town of Kearny at 402 Kearny Avenue, Kearny, NJ 07032 to be received on or before 1:00 p.m. on December 1, 2022. Two (2) originals must be submitted. Non-bound submissions are preferred.
Patricia Carpenter, Clerk
Town of Kearny
RE: PROPOSAL FOR:______________________
(Name of Position)
STATE OF NEW JERSEY
COUNTY OF _________________ ss:
I, _____________________________ of the municipality/town/township of ___________________ in the County of _________________ and State of ___________________ being of full age, being duly sworn according to law on my oath depose and say that:
I am ____________________________ of the firm_____________________________
the respondent making the proposal for the above named position and that I executed the said proposal with full authority to do so that said respondent has not, directly or indirectly entered into any agreement, participated in any collusion, or otherwise taken any action in restraint of free, competitive bidding in connection with the above named proposal; and that all statements contained in said proposal and in this affidavit are true and correct, and made with full knowledge that the Town of Kearny relies upon the truth of the statements contained in said Proposal and in the statements contained in this affidavit in awarding the contract for the said position and in the statements contained in this affidavit in awarding the contract for the said position.
Subscribed and sworn to me
before this day _________________________________
Officer of Company
_______________, 20__ _________________________________
Notary public of
My Commission expires ______________
For the Statement of Ownership Disclosure, click here