On September 10, Hudson County was designated as eligible for FEMA’s Individual Assistance Program. Homeowners and renters in Kearny affected by Hurricane Ida could be eligible for help from FEMA. If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If you are uninsured or underinsured, you may be eligible for federal assistance.
The fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting disasterassistance.gov/ or by downloading the FEMA App on the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT, seven days a week.
When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:
- A current phone number where you can be contacted:
- Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
- Your Social Security number, if available
- A general list of damage and losses
- If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name
Remember to take photos to document damage and begin cleanup and repairs to prevent further damage. Also remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair.